Wednesday, October 7, 2009

When using Facebook can lead to prison

For my 100th edition I am not doing some in-depth expose' on child support, CPS or anything like that. I have decided to just take a break from the long hours of reading cases and analyzing them to do something funny. Today I found it. I have written about social networking sites in the past but never in this context.

I am a daily user of Facebook. I network with people around the world and keep up-to-date on the news there. I post my blawg on Facebook and look for law related stories posted by my 'friends'. I check my Facebook page often throughout the day sometimes from the homes of other people that I am visiting. This is where a distinction is made between Jonathan G. Parker, 19, of Fort Loudoun, Pa., and I.

Parker's use of Facebook has led to his arrest and possible prison term. Parker was arraigned in September on one count of felony daytime burglary. Police were led to Parker through his Facebook page. The Berkeley County Sheriff's Department responded on August 28 to the home of a woman after she reported a burglary in which two diamond rings, valued at $3500, were missing. While there she showed the officers the Facebook page that appeared on her computer. It belonged to Parker.

Apparently, while robbing the home, Parker decided to check his Facebook page. Parker had updated his status to "Gotz too hot diamond ringz for sale - bling bling - IM me". Maybe he also had to check up on his farm or do some gangsta activities in Mafia Wars. Unfortunately for Parker he didn't log out of his account and it wasn't difficult for police to locate a residence in the neighborhood where Parker sometimes stayed.

Parker faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted.


Subscribe

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Make a suggestion for me to write about.


Parents who would like to achieve the best outcome for their children in a contested child custody case should visit my website and contact my scheduler to make an appointment to meet with me. Attorneys may request a free consultation to learn how I can maximize their advocacy for their clients.

Connect with me for the latest Indiana child custody related policy considerations, findings, court rulings and discussions.

View Stuart Showalter's profile on LinkedIn



Subscribe to my child custody updates

* indicates required
©2008, 2009 Stuart Showalter, LLC. Permission is granted to all non-commercial entities to reproduce this article in it's entirety with credit given.

No comments: