Thursday, January 16, 2014

Prohibiting Adoption following Termination of Parental Rights - 2014 Indiana Senate Bill 27

16 January 2014

Senators Broden, Steele, and Zakas have introduced one of the simplest but a significant piece of legislation. Here it is in its entirety with both words that are the changes shown in bold.

SECTION 1. IC 31-19-11-6 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2014]:
Sec. 6. The court may [insert]not, hear and grant a petition for adoption [strike]even if an appeal of a decision regarding the termination of the parent-child relationship is pending.

This amendment is based upon an appellate court ruling last year [C.A.B. v. J.D.M., 992 N.E.2d 687 (Ind. 2013)] that reversed a termination of parental rights which subsequently invalidated the adoption. The original language was added in 1997 long before I was offering my analysis of child custody laws. I would have certainly objected to any language that allows for a permanent displacement of a child before the judicial process has been exhausted.

This bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. I strongly urge support for this bill.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Make a suggestion for me to write about.


Parents who would like to achieve the best outcome for their children in a contested child custody case should visit my website and contact my scheduler to make an appointment to meet with me. Attorneys may request a free consultation to learn how I can maximize their advocacy for their clients.

Connect with me for the latest Indiana child custody related policy considerations, findings, court rulings and discussions.

View Stuart Showalter's profile on LinkedIn



Subscribe to my child custody updates

* indicates required
©2008, 2014 Stuart Showalter, LLC. Permission is granted to all non-commercial entities to reproduce this article in it's entirety with credit given.

No comments: